The Castle of Chrysi is identified with the Moglena city, seat of the homonymous Byzantine theme and of diocese, from the 11th century at least. The earliest known bishop is Saint Hilarion, in 1134 approximately, who dies and is buried in Moglena around 1164. Also, according to the excursionist Delacoulonche, in the place of the fortress was the city Evropos. This version, was then adopted by the archaeologist D. Eugenidou (Excavations 1985-1987). However, until today has not yet found any evidence to confirm the existence of pre-Christian antiquities in the area of the fortress. In contrast, N. Papadakis argued in 1913 that the city Evropos was built on the site of the ancient settlement of Aloros.
The castle dates back to the 10th -12th century, but its defining and its construction was likely to be placed on the older times. The south and southeast side of the castle are better preserved, although the entire perimeter is detected.
The settlement inside occupied an area of about 40 acres, but it seems that, externally extending to the east. Within the walls, there has been excavated a three aisled basilica with narthex. In the niche there are traces of frescoes and mosaic flooring, and a throne. Sculpture fragments that have been discovered, (though fragmentary), testify rich decoration. The above data, (and the large dimensions of the basilica), suggesting that it is the Episcopal Cathedral of the town. The Moglena was mentioned as bishopric since the 11th century in “sigillia” of Basil II, defining the dioceses of the Archdiocese of Ohrid. (Named signet (or sigillium, or singilio) was during the Byzantine Empire the most important imperial official documents relating mainly foreign policy issues that commonly used by the Byzantine diplomacy.)
Outside the castle was located the cemetery church, which is built in the type of free cross. Inside the temple, there are traces of the painted decoration. Apart from the built cist tomb, in central antenna internally, outside the temple has been excavated a total of 53 graves, of which 13 are child-sized. To the east of Chrysi, at the place Theodoraki is located another fortification fortress from the early Christian years, with a series of stone spaces inside.
 Eugenidou, D., “Chrysi Castle and the Subject of Moglenon” in Amitos: Honorary Volume for Manolis Andronikos, Thessaloniki, 1987, pp. 325-344 · idem, '' Excavations in Byzantine, Central and West Macedonia, Servia and Moglena '' The archaeological work in Macedonia and Thrace 1, 1987, pp. 63-68; See the website http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/gh352.jsp?obj_id=19897
 Chrysostomou, A., Ancient Almopia: from the prehistoric to the early Byzantine years, Thessaloniki, Pan-Macedonian Association-Annex Almopia, 1994, p. 50.
 Chrysostomou, A., AD 48, B2 Time, p. 375 · idem, AD 56-59 (2001-2004), B2 Chronicles, 1993, pp. 359-360.
|Connection with other monuments|| |
The castle is directly connected with the fortresses in Mytaka Top in Constantia in Theodoraki, as well as to the ancient settlements in the south, north and east Almopia, such as settlements of Apsalo in areas 'Line', 'Node' and 'Verpen', the ancient settlement near the cemetery tombs in Constantia, the ancient settlement on the hill Goritsa in watermills, the settlement of the Hellenistic and Roman periods southeast of the modern settlement of Chrysi, the residential facilities or rock-accommodation in the caverns of the thermal baths of Loutraki, the ancient settlement in Aloro and Neolithic settlements in Sosandra, Dorothea, Polycarpi, Exaplatanos. It is also associated with funerary monuments, such as those discovered in Apsalo, Constantia, Baptist-Watermills, Chrysi, Milia.